52 weeks of good health....

every week I will share with you a tip to improve your eating habits or lifestyle to help you reach maximum energy levels and increase overall physical and emotional health.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Supplements...yay or nay?

A lot of people ask me my opinion on taking supplements...which ones to take or if they should take any at all. I am a believer in supplements and I think that different people need different ones, depending on where they are in their life cycle. But, there are definitely a few that everyone can benefit from.

First, I'll discuss why I think that supplements are necessary; I often hear, "I eat really well, I don't really need to take vitamins". Well, here are a few reasons why you should reconsider that.

  1. Most of the fruits and veggies we find on the grocery store shelves have been irradiated; meaning they have been treated to help prolong shelf life and delay ripening. Unfortunately, this process also destroys essential nutrients; especially water soluble vitamins and antioxidants.
  2. Aggressive farming, acid rains, use or artificial fertilizers and synthetic pesticides have caused soil depletion. These activities deplete the essential nutrients in the soil. As a result, nutritional values of fruits and vegetables are greatly reduced.
  3. Depending on your lifestyle or behaviour, you may need extra supplementation; athletes, pregnant or nursing women, or people who work in physically demanding occupations need them to make up for the extra nutrients that are being lost.
  4. Pesticides are often to destroy and control pests; according to the EPA, the health benefits of our fruits and vegetables are reduced by the use of pesticides.
These are the main reasons why I suggest using a good multivitamin. Other supplements most people will benefit from are Vitamin D (helps with prevention of diseases), Vitamin B Complex (beneficial for a healthy nervous system, good digestion and energy production) and Omega 3 fish oil (for reducing inflammation in the body).

In good health,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment