52 weeks of good health....

every week I will share with you a tip to improve your eating habits or lifestyle to help you reach maximum energy levels and increase overall physical and emotional health.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Spring is in the Air....


or at least out here in BC it is! And you know what I think of when spring is just around the corner? Farmer's market's and fresh veggies! We have a little farmer's market here in town, it's pretty small at the beginning of the season, but grows considerably by the end of summer. It's a fantastic place to buy local and organic fruits and veg...and kettle corn (or as we fondly call it, "crack" corn, because it's quite addicting!).

But, this year I have decided although it's nice to go down on a Saturday and mingle with the locals, I am going to grow my own. Properly. This isn't the first year I have attempted my own veg garden (last year I had about 6 tomatoes and 3 red peppers), but this is the first year I am going to do it right. My husbands been preparing the soil since last fall (we have a compost in our yard, which is excellent) and I have been reading; my sister in law gave me a great book for Christmas called, The Gardener's Table.

So, you're probably wondering what I will be growing...well, here's the plan:
  • tomatoes
  • cucumbers
  • carrots
  • squash (zucchini, acorn & butternut)
  • beans
  • beets
  • onions
  • lettuce (I haven't decided on which varieties yet)
  • kale
  • broccoli
  • strawberries
That's my wish list anyways! It's still early, so I have a lot of time for planning, but I am getting quite excited...it must be the nice weather! I also love the fact that I will know where my food is coming from. Check out this site: http://usc-canada.org/storyoffood/ and watch the short movie on the Story of Food, if you have the time. I think it's something we all need to think more about. In fact, check your area for a local, organic food delivery company...there are lots of them around, we actually just started ordering our food from, www.spud.ca (thanks for the tip, Deanna!). Believe me when I say, local fresh and organic really does just taste better.

Hopefully, this will get your wheels turning...even if you don't have the space, time or energy to cultivate a garden, you can always plant a few pots!

In Good Health,
Wendy


No comments:

Post a Comment