This weeks recipe can be a side dish or a full meal...it's great for those of you who want to eat veg, but maybe your spouse thinks that he isn't getting enough protein without the meat. All you need to do is add chickpeas to this dish and the rice/chickpea combination becomes a complete protein!
Curried Squash & spinach over basmati rice
This recipe is taken from Clean Eating Magazine; if you haven't checked it out yet, you should. Great meals, great idea's for menu planning...even meals for under $5...and all yummy!
- 1 c brown basmati rice
- 1 1/2 lb acorn squash, seeded, stemmed and diced into 3/4" pieces
- 6 oz spinach (about 10 c loosely packed)
- 1 1/2 c low-sodium chicken or veg broth
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp tumeric (I actually use curry and it works too)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- prepare rice according to package directions. Remove from heat and let stand covered, until ready to serve.
- while rice is cooking, in a medium bowl, combine broth, coriander, cumin, tumeric, salt and cayenne. Set aside.
- when rice is about 10 min from being done, in a large skillet or sauce pan with a tight-fitting lid, warm oil over medium heat. Add squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth mixture, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to low, cover and cook until squash is tender, about 10 min.
- remove lid and add spinach, 1 handful at a time, stirring after each addition until wilted. Serve curried squash-spinach mixture over rice.