My daughter likes to eat. She eats a lot. I am always trying to come up with healthy food to feed her, that I can make in batches, so I'm not always in the kitchen cooking for her when the whining starts! I find muffins are excellent to have on hand for this exact reason...
Zucchini Spelt Muffins
(taken from Eat, Drink, Be Vegan)
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp plain or vanilla non-dairy milk
- 1 cup overripe banana
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp canola oil (I use coconut oil)
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup unrefined sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350degrees F
- In a bowl, combine flax meal and non-dairy milk and set aside.
- mash banana and grate zucchini, and combine with flax meal mixture. Add syrup, vanilla and oil and stir to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients, sift in baking powder and baking soda, and stir until well combined.
- Add wet mixture to dry, gently folding until just combined (do not overmix).
- Fit a muffin pan with muffin liners. Spoon batter into liners.
- Bake for 21-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.