52 weeks of good health....

every week I will share with you a tip to improve your eating habits or lifestyle to help you reach maximum energy levels and increase overall physical and emotional health.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Recipe of the Week




I decided since everyone is always asking me for recipes, that I would also share one of my favourite recipes each week...since I have such a sweet tooth, they will probably be mostly dessert recipes, but I'll try to mix it up!
I don't really create my own recipes, I just alter ones that I love to suit my family. This past year has been interesting trying to alter recipes to make them dairy free for my daughter...especially dessert ones!

Sources I frequently turn to for recipes that are always good are: Clean Eating magazine, 101cookbooks.com, Mothering.com and Eat, Drink,Be Vegan (she has a few cookbooks, this is the only one I have, but I'm sure they're all good!).

Here's a recipe for Pumpkin Pie that I made for Boxing Day (courtesy of Mothering.com)...super yummy and good reviews!

Ingredients to make crust:

3/4 cup pecan halves

3/4 cup rolled oats

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 pinch salt

1/4 cup vegetable oil

3 tablespoons real maple syrup

Ingredients to make filling:

1 cup soy milk (I use rice milk)

1/4 cup arrowroot powder

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree

1/2 cup real maple syrup

1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit. Set rack in the middle of the oven, and lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan.

Spread the pecans out over a baking sheet and bake for seven to ten minutes, or until the aroma fills the kitchen. Set aside 16 pieces for garnish.

To make crust:

Combine oats, flour, pecans, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Pulse until mixture becomes a coarse meal. Move ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together oil and maple syrup. Then add the syrup mix to the dry ingredients, and mix to form a soft dough. Place the dough in pie pan, and gently press into pan, crimping the edges. Bake for ten minutes, and set aside to cool.

To make filling:

Now blend the soy milk and the arrowroot in the food processor for 15 seconds, or until the arrowroot is completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Add the pumpkin, maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Thoroughly blend all ingredients. Pour the filling into the crust, and smooth with a spatula.

Bake pie for about 35 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned and the outside inch of the filling is set. If the center is still soft, it will firm when cooled. Set the pie on a wire rack to cool. Gently press remaining pecan halves into hot filling, forming two concentric circles. Cool to room temperature, and then chill until set, about three hours. This pie can be served chilled or at room temperature

Enjoy!

Wendy


No comments:

Post a Comment