Turkey Pot Pie
Hands on time: 25 min Total time: 60 min
· 2 cups cooked long grain rice
· 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil, divided
· 1 oz Parmesan, finely grated
· Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
· 12 oz boneless, skinless turkey breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
· 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ¼ inch thick rounds (about 1 cup)
· 1 white turnip, peeled and cut into ½ inch dice (about 1 cup)
· 1 medium leek, white and light green parts, sliced into ¼ inch half moon
· 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
· 3 tbsp spelt or whole wheat flour
· 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
· 1/3 cup low fat plain yogurt
· 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
· 2 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In a bowl, combine rice, 1 tsp oil and cheese and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tsp oil over medium high heat. Add turkey and cook, turning often, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 6 min. Remove turkey from pan and set aside. Return skillet to stove, lower heat to medium and add remaining 1 tbsp of oil. Add carrots, turnip, leek and onion and cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften about 5 min. Add flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broth and stir until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken, about 4 min. Stir in yogurt and mix well. Add reserved turkey, parsley, sage and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour turkey mixture into an oven-safe baking dish. Top with rice mixture in an even layer and bake until filling is bubbling and rice is golden brown, about 30 min. Let rest for 5 min before serving.