I always seem to be looking for a quick side dish recipe to bring to people houses for dinners. Seeing as summer is finally here and BBQ season has begun, here's one of my favourites for you to try. Quick, easy, delicious...and you can usually find all these ingredients on hand!
Fruited Couscous Salad
3 cups couscous
4 ½ cups chicken broth, or water, boiling
¾ cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried apricots, diced
¾ cup toasted almonds
1 lemon, zested and juiced
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
4 green onions, sliced thin
¾ cup mint leaves, chopped
- In a large bowl combine the couscous and boiling broth/water. Cover and allow to steam for five minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork, breaking apart clumps.
- Stir in cranberries, apricots, and almonds, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, wisk together the lemon zest, one half of the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle mixture over the couscous and toss to combine. Taste for seasoning. Add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice as desired.
- Before serving, add green onion and mint leaves.